Last night was the one night that worries me as a REDs fan. I couldn’t sleep, what i saw in the derby was horrible. I took out a piece of paper before going to work and started to scribble what i saw that was wrong during the miseryside derby. I started to ask questions, the right questions that will eventually and hopefully get me the answers i need to hear as a REDs fan. The journey to work didn’t help either, the car started to play, “We can work it out” by the Beatles. I begin to imagine that every verse of the song was like a question from the KOP and the next verse another answer from ROY. The song is now a conversation….
It goes something like this…..
Roy : Try to see it my way, Do I have to keep on talking till I can’t go on?
Kop : While you see it your way, Run the risk of knowing that our love may soon be gone.
Kop :Think of what you’re saying. You can get it wrong and still you think that it’s alright.
Roy : Think of what I’m saying, We can work it out and get it straight, or say good night.
Roy : Try to see it my way, Only time will tell if I am right or I am wrong.
Kop : While you see it your way There’s a chance that we may fall apart before too long.
The chorus part “We can work it out, We can work it out.” This part was in my head especially, telling and convincing myself.
These are the questions i wrote down:
(Those in brackets were my thoughts)
1. Stevie Gerrard, my captain, why are you not tactically discipline last nite? Weren’t you suppose to play just behind Torres and in between the lines? (The more the game went on, the more Torres and Gerrard dropped deeper towards the other eight players, when the eight should have been coming towards them.)
2. What happened to the chances we created?
(The Liverpool i know could create chance after chance. Yesterday, we had John Henry to cheer for that only Torres header in the 1st half.) Oops sorry, the Liverpool i knew was topping the charts in shots on goal,and that was Rafa’s Reds (sorry Rafa haters). Even on a Rafa day, we would still have enough chances, however we did not convert them. (Please note that a bad Rafa week have never ended the Reds in 19th)
3. What happened to our players in the final third of the pitch when we were attacking? What happened to our strength?
(We were good at pressing the opponents and forcing them to pass early and we always had chances when it is done especially in the final third.)
4. Why are we too deep?
(If we were pressing them from the front this wouldnt had happened. Everton grew in confidence as the match went coz we were letting them play. Another alarming aspect of this performance was the overall lack of confidence and creativity from the side, rather than poor individual displays. At least Meireles are being used the right way around and the centre of midfield had a decent feel to it – he passed the ball well and Liverpool are better without Christian Poulsen.)
5. Why didn’t you make a change when we were 2-0 down?(It took you 25 minutes after the second goal to make a change. If in 50mins nothing seems to work, then why would you think an extra 25 minutes would? You are reinforcing failure.)
6. Why was there a smile on your face when you shook Moyes’ hand when the game ended? (I dont remember Rafa smiling after a win let alone a loss, was it a smirk then?)
Please Mr Roy Hodgson, we want pass and move…. we havent seen it so far…
You’ve said to give you 10 games, its already 8 games and it doesnt look good. Even if you would win the next 2 games…. it wouldnt be rosy.
Rafa’s 1st 10 games:
D Spurs 1-1 (A)
W Man City 2-1(H)
L Bolton 0-1(A)
W WBA 3-0(H)
L Man Utd 1-2(A)
W Norwich 3-0(H)
L Chelsea 0-1(A)
W Fulham 4-2(A)
W Charlton 2-0(H)
D Blackburn 2-2(A)
5Wins, 2 Drws, 3 Losses
Roy’s 1st 10 games so far:
D Arsenal 1-1(H)
L Man City 0-3(A)
W WBA 1-0(H)
D B’ham 0-0(A)
L Man Utd 2-3(A)
D S’land 2-2(H)
L B’pool 1-2(H)
L Everton 0-2(A)
? B’burn (H)
? Bolton (A)
So far: 1Win, 3Drws, 4 Losses
F= 7, A= 13
Another defeat in the next 2 games and it wouldn’t be long that i will be hearing “Hello Goodbye” in my car. For the REDs sake i hope it will be soon. By then, you could be asking the right questions…..
Ps, Rafa haters, do read this-