Will wonderkid make Premier League debut?
Rumours are circulating the internet today that wonderkid Sheyi Ojo will be given his Liverpool debut against Swansea at Anfield on Monday evening.
Granted, it seems like they began with the remarkably unreliable Indy Kaila news, but it didn’t stop Liverpool fans taking to Twitter to discuss the news anyway…
Sheyi Ojo start tomorrow v Swansea?? Keep a eye out for this. #LFC
— indykaila News (@indykaila) December 28, 2014
Sheyi Ojo to start possibly tomorrow?? Interesting but he’s a great young player striker on fire in the reserves #DeservesAChance
— Michael Buckley (@MichaelBuckle17) December 28, 2014
If Ojo does get an appearance, whether it’s from the start or the bench, fans will need to start getting to know the attacker quickly…
Here’s some stuff to get you started:
1) Ojo arrived at the club from MK Dons in 2011 when he was just 14-years-old, with Liverpool paying a reportedly ‘large’ compensatory fee for his services. Chelsea wanted him too, but we won the race for his signature.
2) The 17-year-old lived in Nigeria when young, but was born in Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire. Ojo’s represented England at Under-16, Under-17 and Under-18 level. For the Under-18s, he bagged twice in a 4-1 victory over Poland this year.
3) He prides himself on his speed, dribbling and close control – which has naturally led to comparisons with Raheem Sterling. Ojo is rangier than Sterling, and more powerful – but doesn’t have the same burst of pace.
4) Ojo can play in any number of positions across the front three – and is probably most suited to the right-wing position in a 4-3-3, where he can cut in and shoot on goal with his left foot.
5) Ojo will wear the no.54 shirt if he gets an appearance against the Swans, having been assigned a squad number before the Burnley clash, where he made the bench.