Liverpool travel to Southampton later today, looking to move within two points of the top four…
Liverpool will be at St. Mary’s Stadium later today, in a repeat of the Anfield clash that marked the opening day of the season. Check out the list below to see all the key pre-match stats.
Liverpool’s Six Top Midfield Transfer Targets Revealed, Featuring Ex-Arsenal Ace & £52m Man United Targets
Liverpool Predicted Lineup Vs Southampton As Raheem Sterling Returns For Premier League Clash
Liverpool transfer news
- Sturridge currently has 33 goals. Should he find the net he will have scored more goals in that period than any Reds player in the last 58 years.
- His last goal in a league game in which he started came against the Saints at Anfield in August.
- This fixture last season produced a 3-0 victory for Liverpool. Luis Suarez opened the scoring early in the first half, Raheem Sterling found the net within a minute of coming on as a substitute just before the hour-mark and Steven Gerrard converted a 95th-minute penalty.
- That win at St. Mary’s ended a run of three successive league defeats at the ground. It was Liverpool’s biggest ever victory at Southampton.
- There has never been a goalless draw in the 39 league meetings at Southampton. Two goalless draws out of the total amount of 79 league meetings between the clubs both came at Anfield, with the last arriving in May 2000.
- The Reds have won two of the last eight visits to Southampton.
- They are looking to record a third successive league win over the Saints for the first time since 1995.
- Rickie Lambert is looking to maintain his record of scoring against every one of his former clubs, having found the net against Blackpool, Macclesfield, Stockport, Rochdale and Bristol Rovers.
- He played 235 games for the Saints, scoring 117 goals in all competitions. Lambert played four times against Liverpool with his only goal coming in a 3-1 home win at St Mary’s in March 2013. He won two and lost two of those meetings.
- Adam Lallana played 265 times for Saints in league and cup scoring 60 times.
- Dejan Lovren made 31 appearances for Southampton in his only season at St Mary’s – netting twice.
- Mario Balotelli now has four goals for Liverpool – with each of them coming in different competitions – league, League Cup, Champions League and Europa League.
- The Reds have kept five clean sheets away from home in the league this season – one more than in the whole of 2013-14.
- In the league, Liverpool have taken 21 points out of a possible 27 in an unbeaten run of nine games (six wins and three draws) – the longest current unbeaten run of any top-flight side.
- They have not conceded a goal in their last four league games on the road – their best run since 2008, which took in the final away fixture of 2007-08 and the first three of the following season.
- The last time they had five successive away league shut-outs was in May 1985.
- Since going through a sticky spell in late November and early December, when they lost four in a row, Southampton have returned to good form, losing just one of nine top-flight games – that to a late Swansea goal from Jonjo Shelvey at St Mary’s.
- Saints’ biggest home victories against Liverpool saw them win 4-1 in August 1960 and October 1989.
- The South Coast club have been in the top-four since Boxing Day and earlier in the campaign they were second.
- Saints have lost three times at home this season in the league – to Manchester City, Manchester United and Swansea as well as to Crystal Palace in the FA Cup.