So – we’ve paid £30 million for winger Sadio Mane and signed what will probably be our most expensive summer acquisition in the process.
But other than the fact he was a) expensive and b) used to play for Southampton (again), how much do you know about our new number 19?
Here are five facts to bring you up to speed:
1. He becomes the third Senegalese player in our history after Salif Diao and El Hadji Diouf. Let’s hope he turns out better than that pair of flops.
2. He’s played in two major international tournaments – the Olympics in 2012 (in which Senegal lost to eventual champions Mexico in the quarter-finals), and the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (Senegal went out in the groups).
3. He came from the Metz academy in France. That’s the same academy that produced Rigobert Song, Louis Saha, Papiss Cisse, Emmanuel Adebayor, and Robert Pires.
4. He’s been Southampton’s top scorer in each of the last two seasons.
5. He shares a birthday with Liverpool legend and all-time record appearance holder, Ian Callaghan.