Sadio Mane might be able to give Linford Christie a run for his money over 100 metres, but it seems his blistering pace is still not enough to bag him a slot in a list of the Premier League’s top ten fastest players.
According to Opta (via Echo), Mane is only the 15th fastest player in the division.
In theory, we can understand it — there are plenty of speed merchants around the top flight.
But when we saw the names of some of the players who are supposedly quicker, we started to seriously doubt Opta’s methods.
Mane has been registered with a top speed of 34.75km/h. That puts him behind Stoke’s Marko Arnautovic and Soton’s Maya Yoshida.
Now, we’re now saying those players are slow – but faster than Mane? We’re not having it.
Here are the top 15:
- 15. Sadio Mane – Liverpool (34.75km/h)
- 14. Marko Arnautovic – Stoke City (34.77km/h)
- 13. Hector Bellerin – Arsenal (34.77km/h)
- 12. Theo Walcott – Arsenal (34.78km/h)
- 11. Maya Yoshida – Southampton (34.78km/h)
- 10. Wilfried Zaha – Crystal Palace (34.79km/h)
- 9. Etienne Capoue – Watford (34.83km/h)
- 8. Eric Bailly – Manchester United (34.8km/h)
- 7. Adama Traore – Middlesbrough (34.84km/h)
- 6. Andre Gray – Burnley (34.87km/h)
- 5. James McClean – West Bromwich Albion (35.04km/h)
- 4. Jamie Vardy – Leicester City (35.1km/h)
- 3. Kyle Walker – Tottenham Hotspur (35.18km/h)
- 2. Lynden Gooch – Sunderland (35.19km/h)
- 1. Shane Long – Southampton (35.31km/h)
What do you make of the list? Fair or controversial? Let us know in the comments…