Very little has been said about Loris Karius since he was replaced by Simon Mignolet as the team’s starting goalkeeper earlier in the season and perhaps it’s been for the best.
The young German was subject to criticism after his nervy start to life at Anfield and costly mistakes against Bournemouth and West Ham but still has the backing of his manager.
Both Karius and Mignolet have seemingly displayed enough for Klopp to be more than happy to enter next season with the pair as his first and second choice keepers. The German supported this idea in his pre-match press conference on Thursday by ruling out the summer signing of England shot-stopper Joe Hart.
Klopp reaffirmed his confidence in Karius and explained what the 23-year-old must now do.
“Now Loris has to be the real challenger. He deals with the situation really well also. He has said nothing in public – the only possibility to change the situation is always on the training pitch and that is how it is. This is the business,” he told the Liverpool Echo.
“If something would happen (to Mignolet) then we would still have a really strong keeper, and nothing changes in my opinion. Hopefully it stays like that.”
“There is nothing negative to say about it but nothing too positive because the past performance is gone. We have to make sure there is an even better performance next game.”
Next season is the opportunity for a fresh start for the former Mainz man and the chance to put his early uncertainty behind him and begin challenging Mignolet for the number one role again.
Time is on his side and we expect him to come back stronger and better equipped for life in the Premier League.