Jurgen Klopp has tackled the difficult task of delving into the Philippe Coutinho situation following Thursday’s eye-opening claims regarding the Brazilian.
The recent development in Barcelona’s pursuit of the Liverpool playmaker has seen the club’s General Manager Pep Segura suggest a deal for the 25-year-old is close.
This came despite the Reds having shown nothing to suggest they had abandoned an insistence that Coutinho would not be sold for any price this summer.
Klopp was unsurprisingly asked for his take during his pre-match press conference ahead of Saturday’s Crystal Palace clash, in which the German also confirmed Coutinho would once again be sidelined due to a back injury.
The Reds boss said: “I don’t know why other people are saying what they’re saying. I don’t even know him (Segura). I have never met him.”
“We have already said what we have to say. No news from me. Nobody told me anything different since we spoke last time.”
“Since he had a back problem he is not in training. I have nothing bad to say about this.”
“We are not silly, we know it is a very difficult situation- but there’s nothing new to say. It’s not always easy for me to say the 100 percent truth, even if I don’t like to lie. But this time this is the situation.”
There’s only so many times Klopp and Liverpool can reiterate the Coutinho stance and the fact that he is not for sale.
It has been a saga that has summed up a relatively frustrating window for the Reds- not to discount the value of summer signings Mohamed Salah, Dominic Solanke and Andrew Robertson.
Just as it was in the build up to last week’s trip to Watford, the focus is now entirely on Saturday’s game and a tricky Crystal Palace team.
The mood is positive after Tuesday’s win against Hoffenheim. Let’s keep it that way.