Liverpool legend Alan Hansen Answered some questions on Twitter this afternoon.
Andrew Larkin @kloppsbeard
@footballpools do you still believe you won’t win anything with kids? #askhansen
It’s a fact. Even the Man Utd boys say the experienced players helped them through the season. Managers always pick experience over youth. High-level experience in the game is everything.
@footballpools @empireofthekop Are we signing Falcao? #AskHansen
Not a clue.
J. Greenspan @JGreenspanLFC
@footballpools What are your predictions for the Liverpool’s 2014/2015 campaign? #AskHansen
I think Liverpool will finish top Four and make champions league but there is no doubt Saurez is irreplaceable
@footballpools @empireofthekop #AskHansen we’ve got a young squad this year do you still believe that you’ll never win anything with kids
Forget about experience or kids –you can’t replace Suarez’ talent.
Elaine O’Donnell @laney16ell
@footballpools how are finding retirement? Are you bored yet?
Fakoyejo Abbey @Abbeybony
#AskHansen who do U think @LFC should go for? Falcao? Cavani? Eto’o?
I don’t care as long as he scores 30 premier league goals a season.
sean south @SouthRaineyj66
@footballpools @empireofthekop Alan , you’re a pool legend…do u see the glory days at Anfield ever returning ? Please say yes lol .
It will be hard to get where to where LFC were in the 70s and 80s everyone is hoping the current regime will keep improving. It’s been too long since we won the league.
Matt Corkish @NYCMattC
@footballpools @empireofthekop #askhansen what was your call when it was your ball?
I’d say yours Lawro or yours Tommo.
@MikeMurrie @footballpools #askhansen will you marry me?
Ha, ha, ha.
@FootballPools Who was the best defender you ever played against? #AskHansen
The best defender I’ve ever seen was Bobby Moore. I saw him play in 1968 and marvelled at how easy the game was for him.
@footballpools Who would you rather be stuck in a lift with for 24 hours and why? @GaryLineker, @AlanShearerFndn or Lawro #AskHansen
Ha, ha none of them!
@footballpools #AskHansen If you had a 5-a-side team, who would you have as your teammates? (Past & present players)
Past team: Souness, Dalglish Pele and Maradona – you wouldn’t need a keeper with that side.
Present team: Neuer, Messi, Suarez, Bale, Ronaldo.
Christian Dente @christiandente
What so do you make of LFC’s apparent Balotelli transfer? Is it positive? @footballpools #AskHansen
He’s a hit and miss player – massive talent, but with every hit and miss player it’s usually a miss.
Emma Lister @Em_24
@footballpools do you think Liverpool are stronger without Suarez? Will they miss him this season? #AskHansen
No can’t possibly be stronger. LFC will 100% miss him.
Franco J Pardini @francojpardini
@AberfieldPR @footballpools #AskHansen Does he think Super Mario is a good signing for Liverpool?
Ability-wise: unquestioned. Temperament: volatile.
Aberfield PR @AberfieldPR
Do you think Moyes should have been given more time? Or is van Gaal the right man for the job? @footballpools #AskHansen
Moyes should have been given more time! He’s the right man if he signs four defenders that can play alongside each other.
Becks Armstrong @BecksArmstrong
#AskHansen Would you have kept Suarez? Thanks @footballpools
I would have kept him, yeah.
Becks Armstrong @BecksArmstrong
And one more…#AskHansen Who’s going to win the league? @footballpools
Manchester City – strongest squad of players, been there seen it done it. Chelsea have two areas of concern – CF Costa great at start, average. Centre back JT, if they lose him at any stage they’re in trouble.
Jonathon Richter @JRichterLFC
@footballpools Sakho and Lovren or Skrtel and Lovren? #AskHansen
Skrtel and Lovren One plays right one plays left which is always a better combination.
In your opinion, how hard is it for a LCB to switch to play RCB?
Extremely difficult, I did it in 89 and it is totally unknown territory
@footballpools Who are you top 3 Liverpool centre backs of the past 15 years? #AskHansen
Carragher, Hyypia, Agger.
Mike P Willam @Mike_P_Williams
@footballpools Who, in your opinion, is be best centre back in the world right now? #AskHansen
David Luiz… No really, it’s @VincentKompany – he’s the best in the world right now.
@footballpools Would Balotelli be a good move for LFC or too much baggage? #AskHansen
Hopefully not, but I wouldn’t bet on it.
Andrew Larkin @kloppsbeard ·
@footballpools do you believe that arsene wenger regrets not re signing cesc fabregas because I do #askhansen
Well Arsene says no. Man Utd should have signed him, LFC should have signed him. They all should have signed him!
Joseph Roche @joe_roche89 ·
@footballpools #AskHansen Will Scotland make it to France 2016?
Hopefully, Strachan has done an amazing job, but the lack of real quality might cost them.
Saif @saifurv ·
@footballpools how much of a say do u think Brendan has on the Balotelli signing? Given his comment during pre-season tour #AskHansen
For the whole thing to work, Brendan must have a 100% say on the transfer.
Sam Quayle @Samquayle ·
Who’s the best player in the current Scotland squad? #askhansen
The best player, if he’s still fit, is Darren Fletcher. Very underrated.
Saif @saifurv ·
@footballpools If asked, would you consider coming back to LFC joining the coaching team? #AskHansen
Never. I’d never want to be a coach or a manager.
anto @antomc1 ·
#AskHansen Where do u think Liverpool will finish this season?
I’m just hoping they’d finish top four. They’d push for third.
Z @Zoe__A ·
How do you reckon we’ll get on in the champions league this season? #AskHansen @footballpools
It’s important for LFC to do well in the Champions League. The comp, naturally gives everyone a massive lift. But not being involved in the competition for a few years could be a problem.
Mekaheel @MekaheelGbaja 1h
@footballpools @empireofthekop do you think Dejan Lovren is right the right man to stop lfc’s defensive problems #AskHansen
He’s made a good start, but still far too early to say.
By Magnus Löfgren
I have read several comments and felt that I needed to say this:
REUS is just a wet Dream for fans, yes he can replace GERRARD when he quits and yes he will score goals to, but we wont spend that much.
So if BR, or anyone in the staff reads these comments, lets give them some real targets to aim for, please!
Here are my suggestions:
Jonathan Soriano 28 year old forward who plays with FC Red Bull Salzburg in Austria, he is scoring a lot at the moment.
Stefan Kiessling is another forward (30 year) who plays with Bayer Leverkusen and scores a lot right now, he scored 6 goals in the last game…
Cavani and Bony are great, but not Falcao please he cost a lot of money and is injurieproned.
If we want to spend that much, then go for REUS, or DI Maria.
Shurrle 23 year old forward who plays with Chelsea scored last night, so think about him to, he is young and scores…
I belive in our team and feel proud that we made our team bigger, we need that with many Champions League games comming up.
Just get a goalscorer if Sturridge, or Sterling cant play…
Best of luck LFC even though you don’t need it, our team are great and just need to avoid injuries.
Have fun LFC and then you have won no matter what.
Monday Aug 18Posted by: Ben Green Comments Off
Liverpool kicked off their 2014/15 EPL campaign with a win against a tough Southampton side yesterday to ensure a good start to the season. It’s true to say that all that glitters is not gold and this is apt for yesterday’s result. That said, the result was the main thing. There were a number of lessons learned from yesterday’s performance and I’ll summarize what I found out below.
1. Luis who? Since Luis Suarez’s much vaunted departure, there’s been no end of speculation as to how Liverpool would fair without him. Against Southampton, a more than capable opponent at the best of times, we learned that the team can rely on other members to produce the goods. Raheem Sterling, Daniel Sturridge and Jordan Henderson to name three all stepped up to the plate and delivered.
2. Lucas who? Despite the fact that Lucas has been a good servant to LFC, it does seem his best days for Liverpool at least are behind him. Lucas has been at the club for just over seven years now and perhaps it’s time for him to seek a new challenge. Perhaps the seven-year-itch exists in footy also. His statistic of zero tackles won sums things up. Personally I think it’s time his place was surrendered to Emre Can.
3. High Wide and Handsome. A reflection of Glen Johnson’s shooting ability. Yes in sure he’s better at it than I am as he’ll surely point out, but the I’m not paid the best part of £100k per week. Johnson had a couple of shots yesterday and from what I recall, both went way, way off target. In fairness to him, I felt he played better yesterday than he has done for a long while, even at right back and made he made a couple if good interventions too.
4. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough. Step forward Javier Manquillo Gaitán. I have to say, Brendan Rodgers surprised us all with this lad. At just 20, young Manquillo is playing well above his years and I’m not ashamed to say I’ve been taken completely by surprise. The LFC Transfer Committee have unearthed a real gem here. This lad has the makings of being a great player for Liverpool.
5. Who dares wins. The new, or shall I say real SAS. Equally as lethal and deadly as the regiment. Sturridge and Sterling have continued this season where they left off last time. The latter seems to be improving with every game and it’s hard to believe this is the same lad Rodgers was telling off for being cheeky during the preseason tour a couple of years ago. Sterling barely put a foot wrong all game yesterday. The fact that he played in two positions seamlessly yesterday shows what a player Liverpool has in this young lad.
Those are the main things that stood out for me in yesterday’s performance. Also worth noting is that Philippe Coutinho had a pretty poor game. Now opposition teams are aware that if he’s shackled he’s going to struggle and perhaps this is the reason why Lazar Markovic has been recruited. Perhaps Coutinho just had a bad day at the office.
All said the result bode well. It looks on paper as if the squad is stronger than last season, but we’ll only know that once Markovic and Adam Lallana come back from injury. One thing is clear though and that’s that the squad is arguably stronger without Suarez.
Next up is Manchester City away and this will be a big test for the team. If things go against them it’s not the end of the world but I don’t believe Rodgers’ men have anything to fear. It’s still early doors and both teams are not 100% yet. This could even play in the visitors’ favor. I maintain that the top three is a fair expectation. Having said that, what I want is the title.
Follow me on Twitter: @Mrbengreen