As we reach the end of another season which…. well most of us would like to forget, has it been as bad as it could have been? We started the season after a poor 2009/10 showing and most of us hoped for better in the coming months, but what was going to be defined as better?
We plumbed to new depths in the Premier League with Roy Hodgson at the helm, but we also had positive news. New owners were on the horizon and quickly showed they were here to mean business. Obviously this didn’t detract from what was quickly turning out to be a nightmare season… Or it was until Kenny took over the reigns and suddenly things looked a whole lot brighter. 25 points out of the last 39, only the… pains me to say this… Champions in waiting have collected more than this, surely this isn’t the form of a team that was near the relegation zone, I know that Carroll and Suarez came in and have been superb, but every player who has pulled on that famous red jersey in recent weeks has played with a passion that wasn’t there earlier in the season.
I doubt we’ll ever know what was exactly wrong earlier in the season… people say it’s completely down to Roy and his tactics, I would say yes he had the wrong tactics at Liverpool but he can’t be THAT bad considering what he’s done to West Brom… case of a little fish in a big pond perhaps? I point to other signs though… having a striker who was sulking all the time did not help, is it a coincidence that after a certain Mr Torres left results picked up? I don’t think so. I think the loss of Aquilani to Juventus could have had a psychological effect on the players, just as it appeared he was getting used to English football, Roy goes and loans him out to the Old Lady, seemingly a barmy move considering the season he’s had over there. Also the ongoing saga with the owners, maybe when our new owners came in… the pressure was more on our players to perform… they didn’t have the excuse of the old owners shaking everything up. Whatever it was, it appears to be fixed and this brings me on to my second point.
Nearing the end of this season, what is more important to YOU as a Liverpool fan? In the next 5 games, and into summer! In these next 5 games do we go all out on reaching that supposedly important Europa League spot in 5th… (or 6th if City win the FA cup and finish 5th) or perhaps even a Champions League berth? or do we… not ease up… but blood some of our younger players and finish 6th.. 6th is certainly not good enough for our great club… but as I said, had certain individuals been at the club still, it could have been a whole lot worse.
In summer its obvious we need some new players… who’s on your serious wishlist.. I’ve seen people give lists with around 10 players on… not only do we not need that many players, we really aren’t going to get them all! I’d say with 2 World Class players in wing and left back position and maybe 2-3 decent covers all over the pitch we may be sorted.. who do YOU want? Who is most important? There’s clearly money to spend… what with Standard Chartered’s money, the Owners’ money and this new kit deal with Warrior sports. I doubt we need many more than 5 players, looking at the young guys we’ve got coming through and the quality that is already shown in the Liverpool team itself! All they need is the belief… Kenny gave them that back, I personally believe like a lot of you he should be given the manager’s job. If he isn’t I’d like Villa-Boas, but I’d still want Kenny around in that back room staff even if he decides the job’s not for him simply to always have that passion he instils. He’ll be a legend still in all our eyes no matter what he does I’m sure.
Positives from this season.
- New Owners who seem to be willing to splash the cash. (no more Hicks and Gillete!!!!!!)
- Kenny returning as manager.
- The emergence of some young talent thanks to Rafa Benitez and Rodolfo Borrell. (Kelly, Flanno, Robinson, Suso, Sterling, Morgan, Wisdom, Shelvey and Spearing to name but a few)
- Luis Suarez, Andy Carroll and Raul Mereiles.
- Belief returning to Liverpool fans that we can challenge.
- Big victories over Man U, Chelsea home and away, Man City and two decent draws with Arsenal.
- I know i’ll probs get slated for this.. but the real emergence from Lucas as one of the Premiership’s best Midfielders.
- A real path to the future has been shown, young intelligent players and a sense of unity.
Negatives from this season
- 5th or 6th really isn’t good enough for this club, should at the VERY LEAST be challenging for Top 4.
- Injuries to key players. Stevie G, Agger, Carra and Kelly being the most noteworthy.
- Humiliating defeats against Blackpool, West Ham, West Brom and Wolves.
- Sometimes… until recently, a lack of consistency and a reliability on one or two players (Lucas, Reina, Carra to name a few)
So overall what do you Reds think… has this season been as bad as it could have been? I know 6th isn’t good enough for us.. but sometimes with the hard times comes unity and a belief that in future years we can do this. I believe this club… the supporters and Players have a unity that is returning to Anfield in great amounts.. and we WILL be challenging for our 19th title next year with a real belief in our hearts.
Ali (@AliJMB if you want to follow me on twitter)