It doesn’t look like we’ll see Naby Keita in the first-team for a good few weeks yet…
Echo journalist Paul Gorst has suggested next weekend’s game against Burnley will come too soon – and given there’s a two week international break after that – perhaps we can schedule in the Newcastle fixture on September 14 as his earliest possible return.
At least we can guarantee he won’t go away with his country, something that has been problematic for his health recently.
“Klopp said before the Southampton game that a muscle injury around the hip was Keita’s latest ailment,” said Gorst.
“It’s been a case of two steps forward and two back for the Guinea international since he joined last summer and that must be so frustrating for him. Liverpool have a special player on their hands if they can get him fit and firing, but he’s only shown flashes of it so far. Given Klopp’s comments before the Arsenal game, Burnley is likely to come too soon for him, but the Reds boss will offer another update on Friday.”
Keita’s stop-start career at Anfield so far has been very frustrating, not only for fans but obviously the player and Jurgen Klopp.
The boss clearly rates the Guinean very highly, but will only deploy him when he’s fully fit – and likely has more tactical trust in the likes of Jordan Henderson and Gini Wijnaldum right now…
In pre-season, although he missed most of it, Keita shone and looked like he’d begin the season in the team – but his injury before the European Super Cup curtailed his progress.
Now, we must all be patient. Thankfully, the side is winning without him and should continue to do so at Turf Moor.