Before Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool squad heads across the pond to embark on our glamorous International Friendly Cup ties this summer, we’ll compete in four friendlies closer to home.
The official website stated today that we’ll face Tranmere Rovers, Fleetwood Town, Wigan Athletic and Huddersfield Town at the beginning of July, getting geared up for the games with Chelsea, AC Milan and Barcelona afterwards.
You can imagine that the first four matches will feature many youngsters and players who aren’t playing in the Euros.
This means the likes of Cameron Brannagan, Sheyi Ojo and Danny Ings could play early on, alongside new signings Marko Grujic, Joel Matip and Loris Karius – none of which are away with their countries. Seniors such as Dejan Lovren, Alberto Moreno and Roberto Firmino – not selected by Croatia, Spain or Brazil – might play too.
As always, pre-season gives us first glimpse of lesser known players, and actually provides an opportunity for youngsters to force their way into the first-team. Joe Gomez arrived from Charlton last summer and played so well on tour that he started the season at left-back ahead of Moreno.
We hope he regains his fitness soon and can play a significant part this time around as well.
Liverpool’s pre-season schedule so far…
- July 8: Tranmere Rovers v Liverpool – Prenton Park. 7pm BST.
- July 13: Fleetwood Town v Liverpool – Highbury Stadium. 7pm BST.
- July 17: Wigan Athletic v Liverpool – DW Stadium. KO 4pm BST.
- July 20: Huddersfield Town v Liverpool – John Smith’s Stadium. 7.45pm BST.
- July 27: Liverpool v Chelsea – Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California. 8.30pm Pacific time (4.30am BST, July 28).
- July 30: Liverpool v AC Milan – Levi’s Stadium, Santa Clara, California. 7pm Pacific time (3am BST, July 31).
- August 6: Liverpool v FC Barcelona – Wembley. 5pm BST.