The Reds might have completed their move for summer signing number seven last week, a deal which Sky Sports believe will be our last of the summer, but that hasn’t stopped the tabloids continuing to link us with new players.
James Milner, Danny Ings, Adam Bogdan, Joe Gomez, Roberto Firmino, Nathaniel Clyne and Christian Benteke have all signed on the dotted line this summer, but the Liverpool Echo – among others – have admitted that we could still conceivably be after a left-back and a central midfielder.
The latest set of transfer rumours certainly reflect that. According to the Daily Star, Brendan Rodgers has been given the ‘green light’ to sign Barcelona full-back Adriano, who has admitted that he’s open to a move away from the club.
Liverpool’s pre-season player ratings – Lallana and Gomez top of the class on Far East tour
Rodgers press conference: Malaysia, Benteke signing, possible team vs Stoke
Liverpool owners discuss what redeveloping Anfield will do for the club
The 30-year-old, who is firmly behind Jordi Alba in the Camp Nou pecking order, could be the experienced defender that Rodgers has supposedly been searching for. However, we won’t place too much trust in the Star’s report, especially considering the fact that Roma have already made a move for the player.
Adriano’s representative, Paulo Affonso, is quoted in the Echo as saying: “[Roma’s offer] is very tempting and he thinks it’s time for a change. It’s time to face new challenges and take advantage of the offer of a big Italian team.
“We have a perfect relationship with everyone at Barcelona and they have been very good to us. As professionals we have to handle the situation with intelligence and patience to reach an agreement for a transfer.”
Meanwhile, Marc Bartra – another Barcelona defender – has said he’s happy in Spain, despite transfer speculation linking him with moves to both Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur – as ESPN report.
“Each summer there is talk of possible changes but in my mind the idea to remain at Barca is always there,” he said. “I have everything I want here, to feel important in such a good group is unique.”
Newcastle United’s midfielder Moussa Sissoko has admitted that he could move, but Tottenham are now thought to be leading the Reds in the chase for the French international, who the Echo state is valued at around £16m.
The player wants Champions League football but might not risk a move just twelve months prior to a major international tournament. In quotes taken by the Echo, he said: “With a year until the Euros, I shouldn’t change club and risk ended up on the bench. But at the same time I want to play for one of the biggest clubs.
“I want to play in the Champions League, which we don’t have at Newcastle. One day or another, my time will come. But in any case I see myself staying in England.”
Real Madrid winger Denis Cheryshev has also been told that he won’t be moving anywhere this summer, according to reports in the Daily Express. The Russian, who scored in a friendly against Manchester City on Friday, remains a part of Rafael Benitez’s plans.