Liverpool’s skipper Jordan Henderson is having an excellent season.
Not only is he showing increased leadership skills, staying fit and providing a fantastic base from which his team-mates can perform, but he’s working frenetically as well.
In fact, according to Opta (cited in the Echo), the 26-year-old has covered more distance than any other player in the top flight, including Chelsea’s N’golo Kante who ran the most last season for Leicester City and is second so far this campaign.
We’d expect Adam Lallana to have made the current Top 10 as well, but he missed our last fixture due to injury so has played less minutes than his rivals.
Here’s the Top 10, which somehow includes Everton stalwart Gareth Barry!
10. Gareth Barry – Everton (Distance covered: 99.21km)
9. Hector Bellerin – Arsenal (99.46km)
8. Dean Marney – Burnley (99.62km)
7. Danny Drinkwater – Leicester (99.70km)
6. Fernandinho – Manchester City (100.48km)
5. Sam Clucas – Hull City (100.67km)
4. Craig Dawson – West Bromwich Albion (102.04km)
3. Nemanja Matic – Chelsea (104.06km)
2. N’Golo Kante – Chelsea (104.95km)
1. Jordan Henderson – Liverpool (106.49km)
As you can see, the list is dominated by central midfielders, although Arsenal’s flying fullback Hector Bellerin makes the cut – perhaps one of only a few competitors to Nathaniel Clyne for the title of the country’s best right-back.
As our no.6, Henderson is pivotal now, literally in terms of his playing style and figuratively in terms of his importance.
Keep up the good work!