There is no agreement, either written or unwritten, for Coutinho to join Barcelona in summer 2018 – after we rejected their multiple approaches this transfer window just gone.
As we know, the Catalans lodged at least three monumental bids, the last of which reached £118m including add-ons, but Liverpool were 100% adamant that we would not sell the Brazilian.
Coutinho had handed in a transfer request and was devastated by the failure to clinch a move to Spain, but made his return to the team off the bench against Sevilla last week and his first start v Burnley on Saturday.
When asked if there was a gentleman’s agreement for him to join Barcelona next summer instead, much like there was with Luis Suarez in 2013 and then 2014, Coutinho said no.
“Not that I know of,” Coutinho told ESPN Brasil, cited in the Times. “I am in a place that I have always been given respect by everyone and I, too, respect everyone. I have conquered my space in four, five years and never had any problems with anyone – the fans, the board, my team-mates, the coaching staff. That has not changed.
There’s a strong chance that the topic will rear its head again at the end of this season, but for now, we really couldn’t care less.
Coutinho is a Liverpool player for another nine months and we need to get the very best out of him considering our stuttering start to the season.
We haven’t won in three games since the international break and our defence is coming under enormous, deserved criticism.