Jurgen Klopp is upset and personally affected by Coutinho’s transfer request, which was submitted one day before our Premier League campaign began.
The Brazilian asked to be sold by Liverpool to Barcelona, and while the club immediately and officially rejected it – fans went into meltdown after being told in no uncertain terms for the past six months that our best player wanted to stay at Anfield.
“Klopp, who puts such energy into creating group morale, is said to feel personally let down,” wrote Jonathan Northcroft in the Telegraph, and for the first time, admitted that our 25-year-old could be sold:
“If bosses decide, for example, just in general, to sell a player or we don’t sell him, then I have to accept it,” he said after the 3-3 draw with Watford on Saturday lunchtime…
As Jamie Carragher previously suggested, there’ll be a ‘riot’ (probably staged on the internet…) if FSG do give in to Barcelona and sell them our no.10 – especially with very little time to find an adequate replacement.
It’ll be all the more frustrating considering our top target this summer Virgil van Dijk and Naby Keita have so far been kept against their will by Southampton and Rb Leipzig respectively.