It seems Red Bull Leipzig are internally debating whether or not to give into Naby Keita’s wishes and let him sign for Liverpool this summer.
Chairman Oliver Mitzlaff has told the 22-year-old he’ll allow a transfer, but sporting director Ralf Rangnick is adamant Keita won’t be sold – at any price.
Guinean journalist Sega Diallo has claimed that Keita was given good news following his crunch meeting with the club that took place earlier this week.
The player had returned to Leipzig early to alert them of his intention to leave.
“The president of Leipzig will NOT object to the will of Naby to Liverpool – as he the said during the first meeting,” Diallo tweeted last night.
— sega diallo (@segadiallo) July 6, 2017
But Rangnick has been damning in his response to the rumours.
“We will definitely not be letting any key players go. There’s nothing that will make us budge,” he said.
“It’s totally normal for clubs to be interested in our players, but that doesn’t affect our stance on the matter.”
Having spoken to those with the inside track on transfer proceedings, Empire of the Kop understands that Keita’s agents are still pursuing an exit and the player will consider handing in a transfer request to force a move if his club remain stubborn.
For now though, we watch this space.