Jose Enrique has been told by Liverpool that he is free to find a new club, according to the Echo.
The Spaniard’s contract at Anfield was due to expire next month, but the Echo reports that he has been encouraged to explore his next move, so far away is he from Jurgen Klopp’s first-team plans.
The 30-year-old left-back has featured just three times for Liverpool’s senior team this campaign – although one of them was as captain in the FA Cup third-round replay victory over Exeter City.
His last appearance came as a substitute against West Ham United in the FA Cup on January 30, and the Echo understands that his five-year Reds career has now officially been brought to an end.
The Echo claims that Enrique has been told that he is no longer required to report to training. He will not return to Melwood again, and has said his goodbyes to his teammates and the coaching staff.
We have been waiting to shift his £65,000-per-week salary – reported by the Echo – off our wage bill for a couple of years, after he fell out of the first-team fold following a long-term knee injury in 2013.
Fifty-eight of his 66 Premier League starts for us came in his first two seasons following his £6m arrival from Newcastle United – fee reported by BBC Sport – and he won the Capital One Cup in 2012.
He has played only 21 times in the last three years, making a total of 99 appearances for us in all competitions, but it is clear that he will not reach his century. Ciao, Jose. Thanks for the memories?
Liverpool transfer news: £15m Bundesliga defender linked to fill Mamadou Sakho hole
Picture: Liverpool fringe player quotes Janis Joplin on Instagram – is this a hint he is leaving?
Reaction to incredibly moving Hillsborough documentary – Liverpool legends salute Phil Scraton