Liverpool are again being linked to Ousmane Dembele, this time at the expense of two of our underused forwards, Divock Origi and Dom Solanke.
The Sunday Express says we could offload the strikers in order to fund a deal for Barcelona’s Frenchman.
Dembele isn’t starting for Barca right now, with Ernesto Valverde coy on his reasons why following yesterday’s defeat to Betis.
“Each one can interpret it as he wants,” Valverde said.
“This is a team. Sometimes some are summoned and sometimes others.
“I’m looking for the best.
“Ousmane came from being a starter and now he’s out.”
Jurgen Klopp uses Roberto Firmino as his starting centre-forward and Daniel Sturridge as the rotation option, meaning Solanke and Origi cannot currently get a sniff.
When they have been deployed, we haven’t been especially impressed and there is so far little evidence that either are long-term options.
Dembele has the potential to develop into a world-class wing-forward and we’d be absolutely delighted if Liverpool’s rumoured interest proved real…
But Barca paid insane money for him and we can’t image they’ll let him go on the cheap.
The money we could generate from Origi and Solanke would still not even be half of what Barca expect to receive, we’d imagine.
Unless they’ll consider offloading the 21-year-old on an initial loan, we can’t see it happening.