Newcastle United manager Steve McLaren has played down reports of his club making a loan move for out of favour Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli, insisting that he is currently focused on those already at his disposal.
Ten things to know about Bobby Adekanye, the 16-year-old winger who’s Liverpool bound
Liverpool fans name their ten most valuable players – 99.1% rating for Coutinho
Liverpool fans name five first-teamers they want to ditch – including Mario Balotelli and Jose Enrique
The Magpies are yet to sign a new player this summer and having only narrowly avoided relegation last season the club’s supporters are beginning to become anxious, as The Telegraph reports.
However, McLaren has urged the fans to be patient as he weighs up his options. In quotes taken by the Daily Star, he said: “We talked to the players – we told them this is where we are now, this is where we want to go.
“But talking’s all well and good. It’s what you do on the field and that’s why it’s enjoyable to get out there and start the work.”
The Liverpool Echo reported on Thursday that Newcastle were ready to end the Italian’s Anfield hell, which has so far seen him score just a single Premier League goal during his first twelve months at the club.
We certainly appear to be open to the prospect of selling Balotelli this summer. With Danny Ings having joined us from Burnley and Roberto Firmino coming in from Hoffenheim, our forward options are quickly adding up and Mario’s already limited opportunities are likely to continue to dissipate if he stays put.