Jurgen Klopp raised a few eyebrows yesterday when he compared Danny Ings to Mario Balotelli and Christian Benteke, both of whom are expected to leave Anfield this summer.
“Benteke, Balotelli, Ings, all the other strikers… they are really good strikers,” he said in his press conference.
“But at the end, having six strikers is a little too much, but is still possible. Until August 31, I could change my mind. I’m not that type of guy but I could. We will see what happens.” (Echo).
However, he’s now clarified his comments, saying that Danny Ings is absolutely not for sale.
“It’s not the same situation as the other two (Balotelli and Benteke),” Klopp said. “We’re counting on Ingsy.
“Ingsy is a fantastic boy,” Klopp added. (Echo).
He went on to discuss the former Burnley man’s fitness, suggesting recovery management was the only reason he didn’t feature more in the pre-season.
“He was injured since October last year and he needed time. That’s how it is.
“Now he’s getting better and better. He know himself that in the first two or three weeks of pre-season even though he scored in the games it was too intense for him.”
Are you relieved by Klopp’s comments? Let us know.